The Scots College, Sydney
In 1893 The Scots College was established
at Brighton-le-Sands on the shores of historic Botany Bay,
to meet the needs of Scottish settlers. The initial enrolment
was 35 day boys and boarders. In 1895, the College moved to
its present Bellevue Hill site. Currently the College has
1600 students in attendance, of which 225 are boarding students.
In the course of renovating the historic
buildings, it was decided to create a display of photographic
images utilising the School's archives. We were commissioned
to provide an appropriately framed display of restored reproductions
of selected iconic images from the archives to replace the
A corner of the Dining Room showing part
of the original display
Initial "mock up" computer visualisations
enabled decisions to be made regarding the style and layout
of the intended display
Actual photo of part of the final display
The T&M Hayes Pavilion - Honouring the winners
Tom and Midge Hayes began their association
with Waverley College at the end of 1940 when their eldest
son was enrolled. From then until the 70’s, their names
were synonymous with the hospitality they offered to Waverley's
visitors at Queens Park.
Their commitment to the service of Waverley College and visiting
schools was duly noted by the naming of the pavilion in their
honour in 1985.
We were commissioned to restore and reproduce
the many photographs acquired over the decades and provide
a secure but flexible display system to enable the display
to expand as required and relocate pictures when appropriate.
The T & M Hayes Pavilion - The original
display before building renovations.
Final display with the frames fixed securely,
but with the option to easily relocate and replace as required.
Sydney Rowing Club - Embracing the future
Established in 1870, Sydney Rowing Club is
the oldest rowing club in New South Wales.
The growth of the sport has placed pressure on the club to
provide additional, updated facilities for active members,
whose ranks now include a significant complement of female
members, master rowers and active, non-competitive recreational
The redevelopment of 2007 saw the completion of the first
stage of a master plan with almost the entire operating floor
of the Club being refurbished.
Marketing initiatives were undertaken which
complemented the redevelopment works and focused on the history
and heritage of "Sydney’s Original Rowing Club"
Our commission was to produce a digital archive of the clubs
extensive historic images to be used in various ways to support
NSW Department of Primary Industries - Accessing the past
The NSW Department of Primary Industries commenced
on 1 July 2004 with the amalgamation of Mineral Resources
NSW, NSW Agriculture, NSW Fisheries and State Forests of NSW.
in November 2004, the main office of Mineral Resources was
relocated to Maitland in the Hunter Valley. As part of the
preparation for this move, the decision was taken to digitally
archive the oldest part of the extensive Heritage photographic
collection of the Department of Mineral Resources. The original
photographs, photograph albums and thousands of glass lantern
slides captured over previous decades would be entrusted to
the State Archives of NSW , whilst the Department would retain
ready access to the digital duplicate images .
varied sizes, surfaces and constructions of the slides, photographs
and album pages required us to use a wide range of techniques
to enable optimum images to be captured onto CD for ease of
access and use in the Department’s Heritage Collection.
Daintree Collection – Archiving
a Rich History
The Royal Historical Society of Queensland was founded
in 1913 to promote interest in and advance the study of Queensland
history, including the preservation of artefacts, documents
and manuscripts relating to Queensland history.
Their collection included many photographs
on large glass plates (glass negatives) taken by Richard Daintree.
In order for them to be accessed, they needed to be copied
onto suitable modern media.
project involved International Conservation Services cleaning
and rehousing the fragile plates and the careful duplication
of the images onto film which was then scanned, enabling access
to the images via conventional enlargements and the Societies’
Richard Daintree was born in England on 13th
December 1831. He took up land in north Queensland in 1865.
In 1869 he was appointed Government Geologist for North Queensland
and used the new science of photography to record the country
and the mineral deposits he discovered in his travels. The
Daintree River and the Daintree Rainforest were named in his
North Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club -
Celebrating a Rich Past
Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club is one of four surf clubs on
Bate Bay, Cronulla, about 30km south of Sydney
The Club was established by a group of local
residents concerned about the safety of visitors to the beach
and club members conducted the first patrol of
the beach in 1925, with the reel, line and belt their only
form of rescue equipment. In 75 years, club members have rescued
11,000 swimmers and proudly recorded ‘no swimmers lives
The Clubhouse has been extensively renovated,
whilst preserving its classic heritage exterior. The club's
most important photographic records were required to be copied
to enable restored reproductions to be appropriately captioned,
and placed on display in the form of a “Time Walk”
along the stair way and on the wall of the main lounge area.
In addition, the entire framed collection
has been digitally copied and archived as a permanent record,
in the event of further copies being required or the loss
or damage to the current photographs on display.
Sutherland Bowling Club -
Preserving the Presidents
After many years on display, the photographic
portraits of the Past Presidents of the Club were in need
of major renovation. The committee decided to hang restored
photographs over the Bar to commemorate the Past Presidents'
contributions to the success and development of the Club over
Whilst some portraits were professionally
made, sadly others were from informal snapshots or to be lifted
out from group photos. The main intention here was to provide
as uniform an overall presentation as possible, with standardised
sizes and appropriate captions to identify the presidents.
NSW Parliamentary Library – Shrinking it down to Size
At 2 metres wide, highly detailed maps of the State
of NSW, showing the Electoral Subdivisions for the forthcoming
elections in 1930 and 1941 were something of a handful when
it came to inspecting the details of the re-distribution.
In the course of preserving the original
documents, International Conservation Services commissioned
us to scan them at high resolution to provide a “same
size” image on CD for the NSW Parliamentary Library
archives, enabling the magic power of the computer to “fly”
a window over the extensive documents.